Life has been a crazy, hectic, mess of wonderfulness lately. What’s been happening?
Last time I posted I was on the fence about starting Weight Watchers again. Well, I did. I lost 19.7 pounds in the first 3 weeks. Yeah…but while that’s awesome. I’m not getting too terribly excited because 1. it was much of what I’d gained back and 2. I know I can’t keep that amount of weight loss up for the long haul. So YAY for losing but keep the expectations lower on how much I’ll lose consistently. I’m also aware that it may fluctuate a lot over the next few weeks because I’m moving soon and it’s a little stressful.
I went on vacation with the fella and his family. We went to Orlando for 5 days and enjoyed pool time with sunshine and warm temps, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, a gangster inspired dinner theater, La Nouba (a Cirque Du Soleil show), laughter, and a lot of delicious vacation food. Fish and chips, amazing steak, fish. And….I was introduced to jaffa tarts.
Seriously, these things are delicious. Orange flavored cake/cream covered in chocolate. I loved them so much that when I saw them on the menu at the Irish pub the next night, I had them again. Kinda ridiculous but I don’t care. They were amazing.
And now we’re back and in the thick of packing so we can move in 2 weeks. Well, less than 2 weeks. I’m slowly freaking out and then K is calming down the crazy until I freak out again. I have so much stuff. It’s major purge time. I’m getting rid of So. Much. Stuff. I’m definitely one of those people who gets anxious about moving/traveling and while I love it, I get really antsy and uncomfortable right before it happens and I just want it over. I don’t mind flying or the airport process per se, but the night before I fly, I’m just thinking, “Ok, I’d like to be on the other side of this now and skip the flying.” I’m not afraid of it, I just get anxious about the process I guess. I’m the same way with moving. But because moving is much larger than flying across country, I’m at the stage 2 weeks prior of just wanting to be moved in and beginning to unpack.
On top of all of these “big” events there’s a lot on the social calendar. K had a birthday this month, a close friend of our’s had a birthday this month that we’re eager to celebrate, we’ve had family events, and we’re expecting my family to come visit shortly after we move. Like I said, it’s been a crazy, hectic, mess of wonderfulness lately.
I don’t know about y’all but I’m extra glad that it’s Friday. This week has just been long. I’m taking my PMP exam next Wednesday so I’ve been studying extra hard this week. I’m just ready for it to be over now. I’m taking off Tuesday to study a bit and just relax my brain then Wednesday morning I’ll probably be a nervous wreck until noon when it’s time to take the exam. So today I’m telling you that Friday is fabulous because:
1. I started the day with an extra powerful “push/pull” series in my training session right after a seriously heart pumping Spin class.
2. The fella and I are headed to Amish country tomorrow for the day. I can’t wait to get away and and enjoy some special time with my favorite person! (He’s also pretty damn fabulous himself.)
3. This Friday is fabulous because in 2 weeks at this time we will be hanging with my family for 4 days in North Carolina. Cannot. Wait. Family time is a need right now.
4. It’s finally warmed up a smidge around these parts. This week has been bitter cold and it’s finally just a teeny bit warmer.
5. I’m looking forward to SO many fun things coming up in the next 6 weeks that every day feels fabulous because it gets me closer to something fun!
Since I posted last week a lot has been happening so I’m doing a bulleted/picture update. First the pictures and then the bullets to explain and some extras (without pics).
- I got beautiful roses from my special guy.
- October night skies are one of the most gorgeous things nature can show us.
- I burned a lot of calories for my last workout last week. I had training followed by Spin. It does a body good.
- I made delicious healthy pizzas for 2. Flat out bread, pasta sauce, cheese, sliced chicken sausages. Bake. Eat ’em up!
- Deciding to leave work early on Wednesday and start my vacation was the best idea ever. I treated myself to a mani/pedi. I do pedicures often but I never get manicures. I use my hands too much and I just don’t see the point in spending the money. But I had a special event for the weekend so I figured, why not? That’s OPI’s Lincoln Park After Dark. It’s also still holding up really well!
- Beautiful wedding for my dear friend! It rained “liquid sunshine” but it stopped just in time for the actual ceremony and it was perfect in every way.
- My calves are finally not sore this morning after a night full of dancing on Friday. Shennanigans ensued the more the liquor flowed.
- Having white wine and Doritos when one is intoxicated is rather delicious (and classy).
- We found a great little lunch spot that was actually a dairy farm. We stopped there on Thursday and had ice cream. The very small was anything but. I had chocolate red velvet ice cream. I know!! On Saturday as we were leaving the area, we stopped back for lunch. I got a bowl of fresh fruit, cornbread, a sampling of cheeses, a bowl of soup (half cream of crab, half Maryland crab), and a “very small” ice cream that was half peanut butter and half cookies ‘n’ cream. All of that for less than $9. Steal!
And not pictured.
- Amish country on Saturday with the fella was a perfect cap to the weekend. Beautiful scenery, delicious snacks, excitement over seeing Amish buggies and a 2-buggy garage. Seriously, the scenery driving up there was gorgeous but my camera just wasn’t doing it justice. We definitely have plans to go back to certain spots after getting such a great preview.
- I signed up for a half marathon yesterday. It’s not until May so I have plenty of training time and I should be able to train in less harsh weather months. (I’m still processing my craziness.)
Happy Wednesday, y’all! It’s really my Friday since I’m taking off the rest of the week to go celebrate my dear friend’s wedding day on Friday. I’m ready for a break. I feel bad in some ways because I’m so ready for vacation. So many people are unable to work right now due to the government shutdown but at the same time, it’s been a while since my last bit of time off and the last time I took off, I jumped right back in to work once I was back. So I feel bad but I don’t at the same time.
Last night I had training. Since I’m training tonight as well, my trainer had last night mainly be upper body and tonight will mainly be lower body. My body almost gave out last night. Last night was my premiere on the pull-up machine. I’ve been working my way up to it and I’m still not able to do it without her help but seriously? My biceps and upper body are starting to scream this morning. You feel it and it’s odd because someone was helping me but you don’t realize how much you’re actually working until you’re off the machine. But squeezing my biceps and body to pull myself up is no joke. My biceps feel like weaklings next to other parts of my upper body so maybe that’s something I should be working on a little more now. Hm. Maybe my fella will help me out since I’m weak and can’t do the load I need to be doing on my own. So after a couple of rounds of 2 different upper body circuits, it was time for my core circuit. That was 20 plank rockers on the stability ball followed by 20 hand to feet stability ball passes, two times through. My core fell out on the second set of hand to feet passes. I finished it (with her help again!) and then made the loudest grunt. She laughed at me and said she hadn’t heard that noise from me in a long time. I don’t know what the deal was. Usually I’m good with the core. But it may be that my body was so tired from the workout already?
Interested in my upper body circuits?
Shoulder combo warm-up: Light weights (I think about 7 or 8 pounds each hand) – hands by your side, palms face forward and raise up over head then back down and rotate wrists so palms face down as you lift arms in front of you to shoulder height
3 times through:
– 15 pull-up machine reps
– bent over rows (15 each side) – I started with 15lb dumbell and on the 2nd and 3rd set went with 17.5lbs
– barbell front raises (20lbs)
3 times through:
– tricep overhead pulls (rope on the tower)
– high plank hold on the bench with shoulder taps
I had quite the birthday week last week! It was also a very special week for me and my fella so there was a lot of fun had and it was full of love!
There was a baseball game, a surprise birthday dinner from my friends (organized by my fella), a winery visit, an overnight trip, a downtown DC afternoon, complete with cupcakes! You can see some of the other highlights via my camera phone above. I loved my week and I couldn’t think of a better way to enter my new year!
I noticed after the last week that my body just doesn’t respond well to sugar anymore. At least, super sweet sugar. I can’t eat chocolate the same way for sure. This isn’t a bad thing. I just have to cut back how much I eat and the type I eat I think. It’s good that I noticed it though because it means I’m starting to listen to my body. See, a couple of times last week I had sugar and then just felt ill. Kinda queasy but not really, you know? But after I ate real food, I felt better. After this happening a couple of times, I looked at my eating patterns and realized sugar was the common denominator. So this week I’m starting to cut back on the sugar, which after last week…needs to happen anyway!
So I may not be doing this anymore:
But I’m happy. Last week I was at my aunt and uncles and what you see up there is where I spent a lot of my time. Wednesday and Thursday I worked from the back bedroom from 7am-3pm but when work time was over I either went and floated in that pool and/or spent my afternoons and evenings sitting on that porch having a glass of wine and reading or chatting with my family. I loved last week. A lot. But I’m home now and I can still say I’m happy.
Last night two of my favorite things collided. I led a terrific Bootie Camp with a fantastic bunch of ladies and then I came home and made cake balls for an event I’m baking for this weekend. I love when I can end my day with my favorite things.
I had to play a bit of tetris in my freezer on Monday night so I’d have room for baking that needs to happen every night in my house to make Saturday’s goodies happen on time.