Last week I decided to do something a little different with my favorite baked orzo dish.
Baked Orzo with Chicken Sausage
- 1 pound orzo
- Salt to taste
- 4 links of chicken sausage with garlic, spinach and Fontina cut into slices about 1 inch thick (I get mine from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced about 1/4 inch thick (I like mine in half moon shapes)
- 1 or 2 plump garlic cloves (to taste), minced
- pepper to taste
- 3-ounces of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 jar of Trader Joe’s fire roasted red and yellow peppers, with juice
- 1 c shredded Parmesan
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and add the orzo. Cook eight minutes, or until it is cooked through but still firm to the bite. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with the sausage.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 2-quart baking dish. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, wide skillet. Add the zucchini and cook — tossing them in the pan — until just cooked through and lightly colored, about five minutes. Add the garlic. Cook just until fragrant, 20 to 30 seconds, and add the tomatoes, and roasted peppers and salt to taste. Cook, stirring from time to time, until the tomatoes smell fragrant. Taste and adjust seasoning. Scrape into the bowl with the orzo, add the Parmesan, and mix everything together. Add pepper to taste, and adjust salt. Transfer to the baking dish.
Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until the top is just beginning to color.